Assignment 1: LASA 2 Strategic Plan and Self-Reflection Summary
Review the initial scenario and the Strategic Business Plan presented in Module 1 to make sure that the requirements of the Board and the Part II Strategic Plan are met. In order to meet the requirements of the Board, you will prepare the final Strategic Business Plan—Part II—Strategic Plan to the Executive Board. Ensure your strategic plan is thorough, succinct, and complete. Challenge yourself to link the targets to specific initiatives you have identified in the Strategic Plan you are developing for H-D.
Your written report should include a title page, table of contents, executive summary, and each of the following sections in an 8- to 12-page report:
Part I: Global Economy & Factors Affecting H-D
- Identify H-D’s Motivations & Risks
- Motivations for Expansion
- Risks in Expansion
- Explain H-D’s competitive advantage in Global Markets
- Determine and explain entry strategies for global expansion
- Recommend an Internet approach/strategy for H-D
- How the Internet adds value
- Internet Business Models
- Competitive Strategies
- Leverage E-Business Capabilities
Part II: Corporate Leadership
Develop the following: Current Direction Setting
- Organizational Culture: In addition, evaluate the culture at Harley-Davidson (H-D) and define what attributes you think team members should possess in reaching the business goals set forth by the organization. If you were part of the management team at H-D, what motivational techniques would you implement to make these teams successful?
- Organizational Design: As you have been completing the Strategic Business
Plan, the management at Harley-Davidson has decided to take a team-oriented approach in various departments rather than the traditional, functional structure. Based on your knowledge of different types of teams and their focus, suggest what kinds of team strategies should be applied to each department. Be sure to explain your recommendations in detail.
- Leadership Traits
- Ethical Organization Characteristics
- Identify elements
- Identify missing elements
- Identify elements
- Identify missing elements
Part III: Strategic Plan Summary
- Discuss how you will implement your strategic plans, including how teams should be implemented in each department
- Develop a brief roadmap for implementation
- Identify the primary benchmarks to assess success or failure
Part IV: Self-Reflection Summary
Self-reflection is the key to good leadership and good management. Reflect on what you have learned in this class and on what you gained from your Bachelor of Science program. Based on your reflections, discuss the following:
- Five or six key “lessons” learned from the textbook and the content that will help you in your career.
- Consider what you have learned throughout this program. Discuss career opportunities that interest you in business.
- Include what you have learned about yourself.
Evaluate how your personal biases and assumptions have affected your work in the past and how you plan to manage them in the future. Your final product will be in an MS Word document approximately 8–12 pages in length and utilizing approximately 4–6 scholarly/professional sources. Your document should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Submit your final Strategic Business Plan—Part II—Strategic Plan with your self-reflection summary to the M5: Assignment 1 Dropbox by Monday, January 12, 2015.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Explain the current global economy, the motivational/risk factors affecting H-D, and their competitive advantage.||
|Determine and explain entry strategies for global expansion and recommend Internet approaches for H-D.||
|Explain H-D’s current directional setting, organizational culture, and design. Recommend and explain team strategies for each department.||
|Explain H-D’s leadership traits, ethical characteristics, and its learning environment.||
|Provide a Strategic Plan Summary to include your conclusions, recommendations, implementation, and risks.||
|Identify and explain 5–6 key lessons learned and how they will help you in your current and future career. Include an evaluation of your own personal biases and assumptions and how you plan to manage them in the future.||
Usage and Mechanics (16)
APA Elements (24)
Original Scenario from Module 1:
Harley-Davidson: Business Overview for New Planning Team Members
As a member of Harley-Davidson’s strategic planning team, you have been asked to create a five- to six-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation titled “Harley-Davidson Today: A Brief Overview of the Business” to orient members who have been newly added to the strategic planning team.
The PowerPoint presentation should include at a minimum the following: (see attachment for PowerPoint)
- The CEO’s vision and overview of 2009 performance
- The organizational structure and management team
- A brief description of each of the brands/business units and the products and services offered
- Key corporate goals and objectives such as new products, new markets, and new customers
- Total Revenues in 2009 and Net Profit in 2009