Project 1 Job Description/ HR Memo
Hide Assignment InformationInstructions
Project 1: Job Description/HR Memo 15%
The intent of this assignment is to have you articulate the value of KM to your organization, determine the skills needed to manage the KM processes and what career opportunities exist in KM both now and in the future.
- Identification of what KM means to the effectiveness of an organization;
- The types of skills necessary for a successful career in KM;
- Research and Identify trends in the KM field;
- Evaluate how the trends in field will change the organization’s personnel needs; and
- Demonstrate effective critical thinking and written communication skills.
You are the manager of GDD’s IT department. Lately the demands put on the IT department for report requests, new software to collect data, store information etc. have doubled. The requests are coming from all over the company and it is overworking the IT department. You are aware that many of these requests could better be handled and filtered if GDD had a KM department of its own. You have been trying to persuade your boss, Mr. Rockfish, to consider the idea and present it to the Board. It occurred to you that one of the ways you might persuade him is instead of hiring another IT person to handle all the new work you have, hire a KM manager. This person would be someone who could handle many of the requests that are overloading IT and would begin to set up basic KM processes for the organization. You are sure that if the right person is hired, and the work is successfully performed and completed, the value that person creates will convince Rockfish of the need to develop a KM department. Further, if the person also had experience that prepared him or her to act on future trends in the field it would help GDD keep its competitive edge with the customers. To this end you have decided to write a short memo to the head of HR, containing a job description for the position you want to fill in GDD’s IT department along with an explanation of the skills, you want the applicants to have and why. In your memo you will include the following information:
- The function of KM in an organization and its contribution to running an effective and sustainable contemporary business environment;
- The job tasks they would perform;
- The KM skills you want your manager to have immediately;
- The skills they would need to meet KM trends for the future; and
- An explanation of the reasons for wanting a person with these skills for GDD.
How to Set Up the Memo
Use the format provided here: Workplace Memo Owl English
- Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that is double-spaced, 12-point font. The final product should be 2-3 pages in length, exclusive of the required title and reference pages.
- Write clearly and concisely.
- The memo must be typewritten and addressed to Ernestine Borgnine.
- The body of the memo should consist of a heading for the job description and a heading for the explanation.
- APA and writing are a focus of this memo and should be executed with the utmost attention to detail.
- You will need to cite source information as you would need to be ready to explain from where information derived. Should you need help in any these areas of APA or writing, please refer to the APA module located in the content area of the course or ask the professor for guidance.
Resources to use in addition to class material:
Be sure to read all the instructions at least twice and outline them for success. Include in the outline the rubric language.
Additional Requirements for the Assignment
Before you begin writing the presentation read the following requirements that will help
Under no circumstances should you produce a copied job description. This job position must be designed to meet GDD needs! Be sure to read the company profile.
- Read the grading rubric for the assignment. Use the grading rubric while writing the paper to ensure all requirements are met will lead to the highest possible grade.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so you are expected NOT to use contractions in writing this assignment.
- You are expected to paraphrase and NOT use direct quotes. You are expected to paraphrase. If help is needed, here is a link: https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/QPA_paraphrase2.html
NOTE: All submitted work is to be your original work. You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (Students are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only). Serious sanctions can result from violations of any type of the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism including a zero on an assignment, a zero for the course or dismissal from the university.