- Are there specific changes that have occurred in modern society that are contributing causes to school shootings?
- Do you think it is fair that juvenile inmates or offenders are treated differently than adult inmates or offenders? Were Jane Addams’ beliefs correct? Why or why not?
- Should juvenile offenders ever be tried as adults?
- Which current theories on criminal behavior–classical or biological–do you think most applies to juvenile offenders?
- How much credence do you personally give to the psychoanalytic theory with regard to juvenile criminal behavior? Why?
- What is the difference between primary deviation and secondary deviation according to Lemert’s labeling theory?
- Is it possible for there to be one unifying theory to explain juvenile delinquency? Why or why not?
· Are juveniles capable of understanding the seriousness and consequences of their actions? If so, at what age are theycapable of understanding? At what age should juveniles be tried as adults? Explain your answer.
Is the participation in delinquent activities a normal part of maturing, or are there specific factors that initiate this behavior? If taking part in delinquent activities is part of maturing, what contributes to the progression from normal adolescent behavior to chronic offending?