- Read both Hurricane Katrina case studies, found in the resources below, before responding. The advance preparations taken by New Orleans, the state of Louisiana, and the federal government proved inadequate to meet the full challenges of Hurricane Katrina. To the extent that these preparations could have been improved, what steps should have been taken?
Paper Submission Requirements:
- Your response should be 3-5 pages in length (double spaced).
- Paper must include a “reference page” not included in the 3-5 page minimum.
- Use APA format.
Resources for Assessment:
- Hurricane Katrina: Preparing for the “Big One” in New Orleans-Case Study A
- Hurricane Katrina: Responding to an “Ultra‐Catastrophe” in New Orleans-Case Study B
This activity is matched to the following Learning Outcomes:Analyze and discuss the terrorist events of September 11, 2001 and the impact of the resulting Global War on Terror. Examine and discuss the impact of Hurricane Katrina and the failure to protect life and property during this event. Examine the history of America’s emergency management organizations. Develop an understanding of the basic reorganization of government agencies and their responsibilities within DHS.