Unit 3 Discussion Que
Unidentified Condition: Unidentified Condition: Cortisol, Bone Loss
Throughout the discussions in this course we will be focusing on one single condition; gradually unfolding week by week how this condition can grossly affect the entire human body and its systems.
The goal of the course discussions is primarily, to build upon the skill of differential diagnosis and secondary, to give a clear view as to how a single pathological process can possess the ability to affect an entire human organism.
Each week you will be presented with varying components of a new system being adversely affected by the unidentified condition. Your task as a healthcare professional in training, is to thoroughly research and envelop yourself within the process of differential diagnosis to arrive at a definitive diagnosis at the end of the course in week 8.
In phase one of the discussion, you will be tasked with presenting your researched information into a written presentation answering the questions below, while also considering your response and symptom presentation from weeks 1 and 2.
Written presentations should be a minimum of 2-3 paragraphs per each diagnosed condition (3 conditions minimum).
- Cortisol: Increased production of cortisol by the adrenal cortex
- Bone Loss: Decreased bone mineral density (BMD) confirmed via dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA)
Previously, you researched and considered three conditions through the process of differential diagnosis that would present with varying abnormalities in homeostasis, metabolism, triglycerides and DNA in week 1 and abnormalities in oxidation, plasma and tissue enzyme activity, inflammation and alopecia respectively in week 2. Given the new symptom presentation above, consider and answer the following questions within a written presentation:
If choosing a written presentation, create a 2-3 paragraphs per each of the questions listed below.
- Given the new presenting symptoms listed above, has your diagnosis from week 2 changed? Why or why not?
- Is there a correlation between increased cortisol production and bone loss or are these two separate unassociated symptoms? Rationalize your choice.
- Does the current symptom presentation from weeks 1, 2 and 3 align with endocrine (hormonal) imbalances? Rationalize your answer.
- Within your written presentation, please be certain to validate your opinions and ideas while disclosing the sources utilized within your video presentation or written presentation (APA format).