Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resources on your own before you bid. You need to have scholarly support for any claim of fact or recommendation regarding treatment. Grammar, Writing, and APA Format: I expect you to write professionally, which means APA format, complete sentences, proper paragraphs, and well-organized and well-documented presentation of ideas. Remember to use scholarly research from peer-reviewed articles that is current. Sources such as Wikipedia, Ask.com, PsychCentral, and similar sites are never acceptable. Please follow the instructions to get full credit for the discussion. Please refer to the helpful tips and look at all the attachments. I need this completed by 09/16/20 at 5pm.
Discussion – Week 3
Top of Form
Ethically Sound Practices for Discussing a Diagnosis
In the Learning Resources this week, you listened to four Walden faculty discuss their experiences navigating potential ethical considerations related to the process of rendering a diagnosis. In these discussions, you likely considered how you, as a mental health professional, would be prepared to navigate the ethical dilemmas inherent within the process of mental health assessment and diagnosis.
In this Discussion, you will practice the process of rendering a diagnosis to a fictional client, Jane. As you are role-playing a conversation with a client, you will want to take special care to provide information in an easy, understandable way.
To prepare for the Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources, including the case of Jane available in Chapter 9 of your Kress and Paylo (2019) course textbook.
- Consider the diagnosis that would best fit Jane’s presenting concerns.
- Read the handout, Jane: Diagnostic Conceptualization Example, in the Learning Resources and render a diagnosis based on the case study.
- Imagine you are completing your second counseling session with Jane during which you will discuss the diagnosis that you have rendered.
- Think about the ethical concerns you will need to consider when delivering the diagnosis to Jane.
- Review the Kaltura Media Uploader link in the left-hand navigation of the classroom for helpful guidelines for creating and uploading your video for this Assignment. (Note: Please be mindful of the technical requirements needed when creating your video.)
- Record a short (i.e., 2–3 minutes) video in which you role-play (i.e., do not read a script) providing Jane psychoeducation about the diagnosis. Do not use a partner for this role-play; simply speak into the camera as if you were speaking to your client.
- Be sure to include the following:
- A discussion of the diagnostic criteria delivered in a way Jane can understand
- An explanation to Jane about how her symptoms match the diagnostic criteria
By Day 3
Write a post that includes your formatted DSM-5 diagnosis with associated ICD-10 code for the DSM-5 diagnosis. Attach your monologue video to the post.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Bottom of Form
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- “Cautionary Statement for Forensic Use of DSM-5”
- Section II, “Personality Disorders”
- Section III, “Alternative DSM-5 Model for Personality Disorders”
Kress, V. E., & Paylo, M. J. (2019). Treating those with mental disorders: A comprehensive approach to case conceptualization and treatment (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Pearson.
- Chapter 3, “Safety-Related Clinical Issues and Treatment Planning”
- Chapter 9, “Personality Disorders”