Reflect on the assigned readings for the week. Respond to the following prompts: “What do I feel are the most important aspects of my learning in the chapters this week?” and “What about this learning was really worthy of my time and understanding?” Then explain how important it is in society or business.
Also, provide a graduate-level response to each of the following questions:
- Several years ago, the U.S. Congress canceled funding for the development of a battery-powered electric vehicle. Do you think that was a good decision? Can you imagine what the pros and cons were?
- You are in charge of the selection and implementation of a new project management software package in your organization. Develop a project plan and explain the details.
- Assume that you are working for a computer manufacturer as a software engineer and that you are told abruptly that your project will be canceled within 4 weeks. List the questions that you would have for management. After absorbing the shock, what would you do?
Activity I: As part of your company’s effort to select a project management software package, you have been asked to approach several other companies that presently use such packages.
- Develop a questionnaire to help collect the relevant information.
- Fill out two questionnaires, each representing a different software package.
- Compare the responses of the companies and select the best software of the two.
Activity II: Identify two projects in which you have been involved recently.
- Describe each project briefly.
- Suggest criteria that may have been used to identify the start of the termination phase of each project.
- Give two examples of activities that were performed poorly during the termination phase of either project, and suggest measures that might have been taken to improve the situation.